Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2007 15:50:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
To:        Dimuthu Parussalla <dparussalla@baysidegrp.com.au>
Cc:        'Martin Blapp' <mb@imp.ch>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Clamav-90_2 Lockup with freebsd 6.2

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007, Dimuthu Parussalla wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can confirm the same situation. My dual xeon x236 server runs very high
> cpu utilisation with clamav. Also tried with maxthreads to 1. Result is the
> same but frequency of locked process seems to be reduced.

I think clamav has a bug somewhere.  I seem to recall
some other application having bad assumptions about
sockets, but can't remember exactly what it was.  I
do know that a close() on a file descriptor does not
wakeup and return an error to all threads waiting
on it.  FreeBSD and supposedly Linux have this
behavior, but Solaris will return an error to all
threads.  I'm not sure this has anything to do with
it, but after seeing the bug report of clamd having
a lot of threads waiting in accept(), it might be a
place to start investigating...

--
DE