Date:      04 Apr 2002 13:22:56 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        Eric =?iso-8859-1?q?Hedstr=F6m?= <erich@ucsd.edu>
Cc:        Kenan <info@djkenan.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Thinkpad 600 Power Management Issues (HD turned on and off)

Eric Hedstr=F6m <erich@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Do you all have apm enabled in your kernels and rc.conf files? My 560X
> does not do this, running 4.5-release or -stable from last weekend. I
> have apm enabled in the kernel (removed the word "disable"):

I'll have to check, but sounds like this doesn't help Kenan.

> The reason I ask is that in my old Thinkpad, a 701C, the hard drive
> would just shut down when I closed the lid (making the system quite
> unhappy, getting the filesystem yanked out from under it), until I
> enabled apm.

I think I would prefer this (just keep the lid open) than having the
drive spin up/down all the time, killing performance.=20

Sounds like you've never seen this spin up/down problem, with or
without APM, so it seems like it may be something else.