Date:      Tue, 28 May 1996 12:00:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk (Paul Richards)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Er... how long

 >Anyone know of a threaded mail reader? Made a really stupid mistake Friday,
 >re-subscribed to all the FreeBSD lists I've been ignoring for the last few
 >months and came in this morning to 1500 messages :-)
 >
 >A threaded mail reader would be really usefull.

ELM works well for me.  I'd recommend it.  You can limit by subject, from,
or to fields.  However, this won't completely do what you want as e-mail
from the lists often have multiple mailing list addresses in the To: and
Cc: fields, but it'll get you pretty close.  Another useful feature it has
is the ability to let you sort messages by a number of criteria (Subject,
Date, Sender, etc.) so you can more easily follow threads in heavily
trafficed newsgroups.

Incidentally, ELM also comes with "filter" (a sendmail .forward filter
program) which allows you to filter out mail from different lists into
different mail file folders so you don't have to deal with this manually.
It's similar to procmail (so I've heard), but allegedly procmail is more
capable.  FWIW, here's a sample portion of my ~/.elm/filter-rules:

if (sender = "owner-current@FreeBSD.org")   then save /home/rhh/Mail/fbsdcurr
if (sender = "owner-questions@FreeBSD.org") then save /home/rhh/Mail/fbsdques
always leave

                                                Randall Hopper