Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:49:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Larry Wells <lwells@goalie-usa.com>
Cc:        "Ambrose, Christian" <caa85@home.com>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Magazine (Advertiser Responses)

Hi all,

I've stayed out of this until now but... (\me putting on Editor in Chief
of DN Monthly hat)

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Larry Wells wrote:

> I, for one, would be a lot less interested in a magazine that catered
> exclusively to newbies. That's what books like the Complete FreeBSD
> book are for. (Not to mention many websites. FreeBSDDiary, Daemon
> News, etc..)

While DN does cover some newbies articles, we have been trying to have at
least one serious "Blueprints" article each month, detailing an advanced
topic.  In the last few months we've had:

	Dynamic Kernel Linker (KLD) Facility Programming Tutorial [Intro]

	An In-depth Study of NetBSD Bootstrapping and a Few Speedy
		Enhancements

	Writing an ISA device driver

	How to Write Kernel Drivers with NewBus

And these are just the Blueprints articles - we've had more "non-newbie"
articles as well.  However we can only publish what we get.  We've tried
before to solicit articles on more advanced topics and ... frankly it's
not been easy.

I agree that a print magazine would be great but I don't want a rehashed
version of the handbook for *BSD.  Cripes, I'm not a programmer (okay, I
do some, but the last serious thing I programmed was for my thesis and it
was in Fortran), but I don't need to see lots of basic "how-to" articles.
A few are good, but not a whole magazine worth.

That said, and as Chris has mentioned, we at DN _are_ trying to figure out
a way to go print.  We tried this once before and things sort of fell
through - try try again.  But if someone else can do it, get to it.
Don't sit on your butts waiting for us!  (or on the other hand, get your
butt over to us and HELP us)  :-)

(\me taking off EiC hat and back to work)

Brett