Date:      Fri, 16 Feb 2018 19:22:40 -0800
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Qpopper and openssl on FreeBSD 11.x

I have encountered an interesting situation while trying to resolve a PR =
on qpopper.  I am unable to build qpopper on 11.1 (and probably 11.0) =
because the openssl function SSLv3_server_method has been removed.  I =
can see where the SSLv2 functions are disabled in ssl.h, but the SSLv3 =
functions appear that they should be there.  nm on libssl shows they are =
there.  Clang's linker can't link to them.  One of the qpopper users' =
indicates that the problem does not exist on 10.4.  I believe the loss =
of the SSLv3 methods is a bug and have filed Bug report.

Resolution of that PR will obviously take some time.  The question at =
hand is what to do in the meantime. I am guessing the packages must be =
built on 10.x or there would be a report of the problem.  I can easily =
change the code, via a patch, to use SSLv23_server_method in all cases, =
or the preferred TLSv1_server_method.  That will eliminate the options =
to restrict qpopper to SSLv2 or SSLv3.  This does not appear to be an =
issue for those running 11.x.  However, it is for those using 10.x and =
earlier.  Given the security issues today, I can't imagine anyone =
wanting to use those options, but it is possible someone is using them.  =
Switching to the TLSv1_server_method will remove that capability for =
them. =20

-- Doug