Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:23:09 -0500
From:      "Josh Paetzel" <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        "Jeff Blaufuss" <jblaufus@sendit.sendit.nodak.edu>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Windows 98SE/FreeBSD Dual Install

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Blaufuss" <jblaufus@sendit.sendit.nodak.edu>
To: <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 9:53 PM
Subject: Windows 98SE/FreeBSD Dual Install

> I am installing FreeBSD on a new Dell Optiplex GX 300 with a 20GB HD,
> and I am wondering where I need to put the root partition to make it
> bootable.  Specifically I want to know if/how I can exceed the 1024
> cylinder limit.  What I have been hearing about this limit is
> contradictory ("It shouldn't be a problem if you have a newer BIOS" and
> "Your root partition must be below the 1024th cylinder or it won't be
> bootable, period")
>
> Also the Windows restore CD that I have will can only do an install that
> puts about 490MB onto the disk, and I assume I will need more space on
> the C drive because this doesn't even include most of the dirvers for my
> hardware.
>
> Right now I am trying to install 3,2-RELEASE, but I should be getting a
> 4.1-RELEASE CD in about a week and a half.
>
> Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer my questions.
>
> Jeff Blaufuss

Yes and No is the answer to this one.  If you are going to install 3.x you
will want to keep the root partition below the 1024 cylinder, otherwise
there is a chance that it will not be able to boot off the drive....just
depends on where the boot code gets written to.

If you wait a week and install 4.1 that becomes a non-issue, as I understand
they have "fixed" this issue....root can be any size you want and it will
still boot, (provided you ahve a "newer" bios)

Josh