Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 21:43:26 +0100
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with device allocation for PCI AdvanSys card.

With 4.0, as of the morning of the 8th September, my PCI AdvanSys
SCSI controler has recently stopped working. Previously I used to
get:

    adv0: AdvanSys Ultra SCSI Host Adapter, SCSI ID 7, queue depth 16
    devclass_alloc_unit: adv0 already exists, using next available unit number

but everything worked fine. Now all I get is:

    adv1: <AdvanSys ASC3050 Ultra SCSI controller> irq 11 at device 13.0 on pci0
    adv: unit number (1) too high

and nothing is probed. I'm specifying the controler as it is listed
in the GENERIC config file:

    controller     adv0    at isa? port ? irq ?

I guess this means that at the very least GENERIC is broken for people.
I tried replacing this line with:

    controller     adv0

and everything worked fine. Does some probing code need to be fixed,
or does GENERIC need the controler specified both ways to work as
both an ISA and a PCI card?

        David.