Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 1998 16:49:51 PDT
From:      "Jane Frodo" <jfrodo42@hotmail.com>
To:        dhw@whistle.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NIS

>>I am using 2.2.5, on a really small (5 machine) network: all
>>tcp/ip based.
>
>>On the master NIS machine, I put the magic cookie (+:::::::::) in
>>the passwd file, and the appropriate magic cookies everywhere
>>else, and have the master acting as a client as well.
>
>>The master machine is fine.
>
>What OS does it run?

Everything here is FreeBSD 2.2.5

>  If FreeBSD, how did you update "the passwd file"?

Using VIPW, as always.

>(Using vipw is what I'd recommend; /etc/passwd is merely a generated
>file, so manipulating it directly isn't usually a Good Idea.)
>
>Where is your NIS source file for the various *passwd* maps (vs. the
>file that would be used if NIS weren't an issue)?  (For example, I put
>the source files for my NIS maps in /var/yp/src/`domainname` on the NIS

They are all in /var/yp/<domainanme>, where the Makefile
put them.

>master... and whacked /var/yp/Makefile accordingly.  However, the NIS
>master would still normally look at the /etc directory for the non-NIS
>information.)
>
>>The clients are not though...
>>I did everything the same on the clients, and they answer
>>correctly to a ypwhich, but I can't login using NIS passwords: now
>>the strange part: I *can* see the NIS passwords when I use
>>ypcat passwd, so I *know* the file is making it over!  What did
>>I do wrong here?
>
>Well, if you can see encrypted passwords in the NIS maps, and your NIS
>master is FreeBSD, the default is that you should *not* see encrypted
>passwords (unless you look at the master.passwd.by{name,uid} maps).

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear here.  Using ypcat passwd
will return a listing of the password file on the NIS master, but
the password field contains just stars.

This is what *really* freaks me: I can check the binding on ypwhich,
and I can see the NIS maps using all the standard tools, but the clients
can't seem to use them for logging in or changing passwords...

Yours,
Jane