Date:      Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:51:16 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Virtual Interfaces and Subnet Masks

	We needed to bring up a second interface on a FreeBSD system
in order to cause it to substitute for another FreeBSD box that
bravely stayed up for 471 days and then appears to have had a
hardware failure of some kind.

	The substitute system already had fxp0 on the network in
question and when I brought up fxp1 on that same network, the
nightmare started.  You can't seem to have two interfaces with the
same subnet mask on the same VLAN.  After much frustration, I simply
changed the primary interface to be that of the dead host and we are
doing without the original address for now.

	The network mask is 255.255.252.0.  Is there any way to have
more than one interface on the same subnet with that same subnet mask?

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group