Date:      Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:57:55 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        erricchaney@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation troubles

On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 04:28:51PM -0800, ERRIC CHANEY wrote:

> 1. I created a LOgical D:(FAT),LOGICAL e:(FAT), a linux ext2
> partition, and a swap partition.I used partition magic 5.0 to do this.

No, that's the wrong way to start.  Although you can correct this during
the installation process, you do not need to make _any_ Linux partitions
for FreeBSD to install.  Linux uses a different partition type than BSD
and you'll eventually erase those partitions to create some of the BSD
type.  Moreover, the installation process of FreeBSD will let you edit
your partition table along the way :)

> 2. after the partitions were made, I rebooted with the cdrom in the
> drive and nothing. Could you please tell me what I have done wrong. I
> have tried and successfully installed windows nt. so if you could
> please give me some further instuctions so I can be on my way to
> learning this o/s.Please get back to me asap. Is this a compatability
> problem? thanks

It is hard to guess what 'and nothing' means.  Your CDROM image could be
one of those 3.4-RELEASE cdroms that had problems with booting from the
cdrom (i.e. directly).

The solution is, of course, simple.  Try making yourself a couple of
installation disks, and boot from them.  You'll see that sysinstall, the
installation program, finds and uses the cdrom later easily.

Ciao.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr