Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2005 00:26:58 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Michael Vince <mv@roq.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, 'Ted Mittelstaedt' <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Subject:   Re: Status of 6.0 for production systems

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 02:35:16PM +1100, Michael Vince wrote:

> I don't like the idea that FreeBSD features and performance development=
=20
> could be hampered by the core guys trying to make stuff work on old=20
> hardware, in fact if it was a fact that a lot more performance and=20
> features could be in 6.x if they dropped support for everything below=20
> 1ghz for x86 I would be happy, I got a few older machines but they could=
=20
> go onto NetBSD since its a very similar OS as it has the same rc script=
=20
> system which FreeBSD imported from NetBSD to start with.

It's not a matter of deliberate choice, but that

a) Docs for new hardware are often hard to come by (and sometimes
impossible)

b) It takes time and effort for someone to add support for new
hardware, whereas support for old hardware is usually easier to
maintain.

Kris

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh--