Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:22:03 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv 0.47 core dumps on exit

    Hmmm.  PPMs work fine here, but I'm not running a current -current
though so could be due to recent changes in the tree.

    The X error gives me some concern.  I notice your $DISPLAY is set to
"192.168.0.2:0.0".  Is this localhost?  If so, you can likely get direct
video (and much better performance) by setting it to ":0" or "unix:0"
instead.  And the X error may just indicate bugs in your X server.

    However, if 192.168.0.2 is remote, this may be some indication of
VidMode extension breakage specifically related to use over the network.
Please let me know on this (remote or local).  (However, vidmode stuff
works fine for me on localhost using sockets instead of IPC -- i.e. with
DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0).

    And the "Failed to find current video mode in server mode list"
shouldn't ever happen.  This says that the current video mode's specs
returned by XF86VidModeGetModeLine aren't in the master list returned by
XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines.  One of these APIs might be failing (not
checking return status), but no failure modes for these APIs are documented
in the man page.

    How about posting your fxtv -debug startup.

Randall

brian@worldcontrol.com:
 |bls2# fxtv	(0.47 on a -current system)
 |Direct Video not supported by visual...using XImages
 |X Error of failed request:  XF86VidModeExtensionDisabled
 |  Major opcode of failed request:  142 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
 |  Minor opcode of failed request:  12 (XF86VidModeSetViewPort)
 |  Serial number of failed request:  1396
 |  Current serial number in output stream:  1397
 |XIO:  fatal IO error 0 (Undefined error: 0) on X server "192.168.0.2:0.0"
 |      after 1398 requests (1397 known processed) with 12 events remaining.
 |Failed to find current video mode in server mode list
 |Failed to find current video mode in server mode list
 |zsh: segmentation fault (core dumped)  fxtv
 |
 |If I just start fxtv and then exit, all goes well.  Generally I start
 |it, capture a few PPM images, and then exit with the above result.

 |--
 |Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>

 |with "unsubscribe freebsd-multimedia" in the body of the message

Randall