Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 1996 14:03:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        mac@nibsc.ac.uk
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SOC emulation and IBCS kernel options

I'm going to clarify the Linux items only, since I've had to deal with it :)

On Mon, 29 Apr 1996 mac@nibsc.ac.uk wrote:

> P.S.  Whislt you're at it can you do the same with LINUX, COMPAT_LINUX,
> LINUX_COMPAT etc. in 1.5, 2.0.5. 2.1R -stable and -current.  Ta.

For 2.0.5 and 2.1-R, you must compile the kernel with:

options LINUX_COMPAT
options COMPAT_LINUX

This is due to some screwups in bits of the kernel code that got the
option wrong.  I'm not sure this works with 2.0.5, I didn't run it long
enough to know if this absolutely works or not.  I think so though.

You must also load the linux_mod LKM and install the shared libs from
ports/emulators/linux_lib.

>From what I understand, -current only requires "options LINUX".  No LKM.
That will get you a.out (and possibly ELF support, please check me on
that).

I have no idea on 1.x; I never ran it.  I'm a post-2.0 user :)