Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 22:27:58 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        wash@wananchi.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ORACLE Install

>Hi
>I was trying to install oracle 8.0.5 today. The behaviour was so wierd! I
>was following to the letter linuxeme-oracle.html from the handbook.
>I had do much more than is in the HOWTO.....I guess once I succeed I will
>try to write down all steps (without the tech details of course because I
>don't have the strength to go against Marcell ;-)
>
>One of the few things one has to do is to add a group called 'dba' and add
>oracle user you created to this group. Again you have some mount points to
>create in $ORACLE_BASE ... _and_ there is a file in /orainst/bin called
>gensyslib in which you have to add a /bin so that cat is /bin/cat.
>Instead of patching the files as in the HOWTO, I was installing from the
>CD so I just made symlinks to chown and chgrp to the location where the
>oracle scripts would thing they are.
>
>So far I have a failure which I hope someone has an idea about: This was
>quite later into the install.
>
>[snip]
>
>(( OIERR-SYSTEM: make -f ins_rdbms.mk ORACLE_HOME=/home/oracle/8.0.5
>install ))
>--------------[ rdbms.ins 2640]----------------------------------
>Action:  Relinking Error.  The executables for Oracle8 Standard
>(RDBMS) were not  made successfully.  Please check the log file
>(/home/oracle/8.0.5/orainst/install.log) and repeat the installation
>procedure for Oracle8 Standard (RDBMS).
>--------------[ rdbms.ins 2643]-----------------------------------

Are you trying to install on Linux or FreeBSD?

If installing on Linux:
Wrong mailing list.

If installing on FreeBSD:
When running an app like Oracle, you generally build the system around it
(not vice-versa)
You should use a supported platform like Solaris or Linux. FreeBSD is great,
but NEVER trust any compatibility-mode applications on a server that is
important enough that you are running Oracle.

Charles Burns