Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 03:24:29 -0500
From:      W Gerald Hicks <wghicks@bellsouth.net>
To:        gpanag@tee.gr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 3.0

From: "PANAGIOTOPOULOS GEOR" <gpanag@tee.gr>
Subject: FreeBSD 3.0
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 09:13:24 +0300

> Deep DISSAPOINTMENT regarding the FreeBSD 3.0 Release from Walnut Creek:

If you've actually got 3.0-RELEASE on CD then I encourage you to read
the RELEASE.TXT file which is very explicit about the target audience
that version was intended for.  It is obsolete now.

You probably really want 3.1-RELEASE or later.  Even so, 3.0-RELEASE was
quite serviceable for its intended uses.

> 1)  No possibility to use a browser to get an overview on what "tarballs"
> are in the ports collection in each CD (if you need something, you must go
> through "find ..." to see if it is there).
> There is actually no ports collection, but only a massive amount of
> collected tarballs thrown together,

[other erroneous conclusions snipped...]

You are mistaken.  Please try covering the material in the handbook
at http://www.freebsd.org again. If you continue to have problems
then feel free to email me directly.

Good Luck,

Jerry Hicks