Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 08:39:37 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grumble.grondar.za.@grondar.za>
To:        -Vince- <vince@mercury.gaianet.net>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grumble.grondar.za>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, security@FreeBSD.org, Chad Shackley <chad@mercury.gaianet.net>, jbhunt <jbhunt@mercury.gaianet.net>
Subject:   Re: I need help on this one - please help me track this guy down!

-Vince- wrote:
> > If you do not know the basics, like setuid, you are WIDE open for this
> > kind of attack.
>
> 	Well, I know what a setuid is but didn't know it was called a setuid
> since it has that s in the permissions...  Also, on our machine, the wheel
> group only has chad, jbhunt, vince and root and the only person who can
> login to root directly is chad at the console, we all need to su.

Ok...

> > This shell could have been created two ways (That are currently in
> > popular cracker use):
> >
> > 1) The cracker snooped your root password somehow, (digging through
> >    your desk/dustbin or by running a snooper somewhere), then created
> >    this suid shell for future use.
>
> 	This isn't possible since Gaianet isn't opened to the public for
> people to snoop around.

Physically, OK, but electronically?

> > 2) The Cracker made a trojan script somewhere (usually exploiting
> >    some admins (roots) who have "." in their path). This way he creates
> >    a script that when run as root will make him a suid program.
> >    after this he has you by tender bits.
>
> 	Hmmm, doesn't everyone have . as their path since all . does is allow
> someone to run stuff from the current directory...

Not root! this leaves you wide open for trojans. As root you should
have to type ./foo to run foo in the current directory.

> > There are other ways, but these are the most popular.
> >
> > For much more info, I recommend "Practical Unix Security" from
> > O'Reilly and Associates, (By Garfinkel?)
>
> 	I have that book but there are always ways no one knows about ;)

Sure! :-)

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200
Finger mark@grondar.za for PGP key