Date:      Sat, 6 Mar 1999 13:20:18 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Paul Apple <paula@jeffnet.org>, HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
Cc:        Walter Collins <wcollins@best.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Minimum System Requirements?

On Friday,  5 March 1999 at 15:07:46 -0800, Paul Apple wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Mar 1999, HERBELOT Thierry wrote:
>> Walter Collins wrote:
>>>
>>> What are the minimum system requirements for FreeBSD.  I was trying to setup
>>> a friend with a UNIX learning machine (single user 386) and the installation
>>> would bomb, hang and so on.  (200 mg unallocated drive space)
>>
>> It seems you have to have more than 8 Megs of RAM to install 3.1
>
> According to the INSTALL.TXT file on the distribution cdrom (disk 1)
> only 5 megabytes of RAM are required to install and 4 megabytes to run.
> Has this changed?

We're not sure.  We've seen a number of reports that you need more
than 8 MB.  It's not intended to be like that, and we're
investigating, but since hardly anybody uses such small memory sizes,
it's possible that a problem has crept in.  We're pretty sure that you
can still install 2.2.8 in 5 MB.

Greg