Date:      Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:32:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Joe.Warner@smed.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SYSTEM HANGS/WON'T BOOT HELP!

On Fri, 4 Aug 2000 Joe.Warner@smed.com wrote:
>   I'm posting to questions now as a last resort.  This morning, I installed
> UPSMON - 2.1.3 on my PC (Compaq Deskpro 2000) running FreeBSD 3.4.
> Evidently, there's some sort of conflict going on involving /dev/cuaa0
> because after I installed the port and rebooted, my system hangs
> permanently at this message:
>
> Local package initialization:Portname set to: /dev/cuaa0
> upsmond<---(this is where it dies)
>
> 1. I've tried booting into single-user mode, running fsck and then trying
> to mount -u / and then /usr but it won't let me
>     mount /usr with r/w because it says the file system is still dirty.
> I've ran fsck on / and on /dev/wd0s1a and it just keeps
>     coming back saying that the file system is still dirty.

# fsck /usr

and if you hav a /var fsck it as well.  Then mount them.

> 2.  I've tried going into userconfig but didn't get anywhere.  Couldn't
> find out where to disable device probing.  Also
>      couldn't find any reference to /dev/cuaa0 in here to disable it.

Look in /etc/ttys and make sure that ttyd0 is set to off

> 3.  I've tried booting from kernel.GENERIC but this doesn't help either, it
> still ends up trying to run UPSMOND and it hangs.

Rename the script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d by removing the .sh
Then it will not be run at boot

No idea why it is giving you trouble though.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com