Date:      Thu, 21 Mar 2002 10:07:27 -0000
From:      Mike Dewhirst <Dewhirst.M@UCLES.org.uk>
To:        'Steve Barkey' <sbarkey@alexin.ca>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Best Hardware?

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1D0C0.348CDE70

This is slightly offtopic, but here goes anyway:

> As many of us do frequently I am building a FreeBSD server,
> and want to
> select the best possible parts to use.
> I am hoping to use an AMD chip and put it all in 1U.

AMD 1U racks are pretty expensive.. You'll need low profile RAM - that's
expensive too..

Othewrise - you could get the appro 1124 chassis

> Any recommendations for motherboards?

Gigabyte or Tyan. Tyan do dual Athlon boards..

> Also; I have had issues with RealTEK cards (who hasn't) and am not
> afraid to spend money on 3 good NICs for the server.  What's the best
> all around card.  PPPoE support and longevity is more important than
> speed.  What's best?  3com? Intel?

I have 3COM's working pretty well, though I think the appro chassis come
with NIC's. IF you go for 3COM - 309x are pretty reliable.

> Thanks!
>  Steve B.

=**********************************************************

If you are not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or copying of this communication and its attachments is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication and its attachments in error, please return the original message and attachments to the sender using the reply facility on e-mail.

Internet communications are not secure and therefore the UCLES Group does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the UCLES Group unless otherwise specifically stated.

MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses although this does not guarantee that this email is virus free.

**********************************************************=

------_=_NextPart_001_01C1D0C0.348CDE70

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV=3D"Content-Type" CONTENT=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-=
1">
<META NAME=3D"Generator" CONTENT=3D"MS Exchange Server version 5.5.2653.12">
<TITLE>RE: Best Hardware?</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>This is slightly offtopic, but here goes anyway:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; As many of us do frequently I am building a FreeBSD =
server, </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; and want to</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; select the best possible parts to use.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; I am hoping to use an AMD chip and put it all in 1U=
.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>AMD 1U racks are pretty expensive.. You'll need low profi=
le RAM - that's expensive too..</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Othewrise - you could get the appro 1124 chassis</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Any recommendations for motherboards?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Gigabyte or Tyan. Tyan do dual Athlon boards..</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Also; I have had issues with RealTEK cards (who has=
n't) and am not</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; afraid to spend money on 3 good NICs for the server=
.&nbsp; What's the best</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; all around card.&nbsp; PPPoE support and longevity =
is more important than</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; speed.&nbsp; What's best?&nbsp; 3com? Intel?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I have 3COM's working pretty well, though I think the app=
ro chassis come with NIC's. IF you go for 3COM - 309x are pretty reliable.<=
/FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Thanks!</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&nbsp; Steve B.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org<=
/FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; with &quot;unsubscribe freebsd-questions&quot; in t=
he body of the message</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; </FONT>
</P>

<CODE><FONT SIZE=3D3><BR>
<BR>
=3D**********************************************************<BR>
<BR>
If you are not the intended recipient, employee or agent responsible for de=
livering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified tha=
t any dissemination or copying of this communication and its attachments is=
 strictly prohibited.<BR>
<BR>
If you have received this communication and its attachments in error, pleas=
e return the original message and attachments to the sender using the reply=
 facility on e-mail.<BR>
<BR>
Internet communications are not secure and therefore the UCLES Group does n=
ot accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message.  Any views=
 or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessaril=
y represent those of the UCLES Group unless otherwise specifically stated.<=

<BR>
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by<BR>
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses although this does not gua=
rantee that this email is virus free.<BR>
<BR>