Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2013 10:36:53 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <alfred@ixsystems.com>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: [CFR][CFT] counter(9): new API for faster and raceless counters

Hey folks, sorry for the top post here, but I just came into this thread.

Here at iXsystems we've just developed a set of scripts to scrape the
various FreeBSD user land utilities (sysctl, netstat, nfsstat, vmstat,
etc, etc) and put them into graphs based on time.

The goal is to be able to line up all these metrics with whatever
benchmark we are currently running and be able to see what may be
causing issues.

Potentially you should be able to scroll through the graphs and see
things like "ran out of mbufs @time", "vm system began paging at @time",
"buffer deaemon went nuts @time"

Then we can take the information back and leverage it to make tuning
decisions, or potentially change kernel algorithms.

The only problem we have is that every user land tool has its own
format, so along with my team we have written some shell to coerce the
output from the various programs into pseudo-CSV (key/value pair) which
can then be post processed by tools to convert to CSV which can then be
put into something like open office, or put through an R program to
graph it.

I'm hoping to have something shortly.

What I was hoping to do over the next few days was discuss with people
how we can (or should we even) fix the user land statistics tools to
output machine readable output that can be easily parsed.

Example: netstat -m  (hard to parse) versus 'vmstat -z | grep mbuf' easy
to parse.

The idea of outputting xml is good, CSV is OK, however CSV is
problematic as in the case of sysctl, if new nodes appear, then we can't
begin to emit them, we must either ignore them, or abort, or log them to
auxiliary files.  Anything that makes life easier is good.

I should be able to share our scripts within the next couple of days.

-Alfred