Date:      Sat, 18 Sep 1999 13:47:19 -0400
From:      Michael Jamet <mjamet@computer.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   #define's set by C compiler - which should be used for porting?

Hello all,

I am not sure if this question is technical enough for the "ports" list.

Here goes.

I use SDCC, an embedded systems compiler, which the developer wrote
under Linux (so I know it compiles there).  In addition, I have compiled
and used it under Windows 95 and NT under Cygnus.

I went through the code and found various #ifdef's for Linux, Cygnus,
and i386, but only one for bsd and it was for "bsd4_4" which is NOT
defined by the compiler.  Thanks also to Doug Ambrisko for help in this
regard.

What #define's should I use?  The compiler does not define generic BSD
macro's only FREEBSD specific one's, but I suspect the changes required
for FreeBSD would apply equally well to the other BSD's.

The handbook also mentions /usr/include/sys/param.h, but the code
(currently) does not include this file.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Michael Jamet