Date:      Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:10:35 -0400
From:      Howard Goldstein <hg@queue.to>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to retrieve a directory tree from perforce.freebsd.org?

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> On 2007-08-31 13:50, Howard Goldstein <hg@queue.to> wrote:
>> Dang. Like an idiot savant, perforce appears to be (channeling Yoda I
>> am?)  Time for a script to workaround perforce's needlessly
>> overcomplex stupidity.  Thanks for letting me know I'm beating my head
>> against the wall with the out-of-box tools...binary only at that.
>
> I have been tinkering with scripts which pull changesets from Perforce
> and commit them to 'clonable' Mercurial repositories (other repoformats
> should be possible too).
>
> If there is a specific part of the Perforce tree you are interested in,
> we can arrange with the people developing that part of the tree to
> 'mirror' and/or export Perforce changesets to another format.

I was looking for Pawel's ZFS code at //depot/user/pjd/zfs to see if I
could MFC it for my own system but it occurs to me as I'm answering you
that I ought to be able to csup what I need right out of the CURRENT and
avoid the problem.

perforce must be pretty good as compared to everything else we can run
for version control?   Needless to say it could use the thing you're
working on to aid in supplying anonymous access to it particularly
because you're working on a more general solution where maybe it can be
grabbed by git and cvsup as well as the repository system you're now
targeting. Thanks in advance for taking a whack at the problem.