Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 1998 06:24:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        sue@welearn.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: little package mysteries

Look at 'man pkg_create' and 'man pkg_add'.  I just noticed that 'man
pkg_add' on -current will close an xterm.  If this happens, do it on a
console.  'man pkg_add' has a fair description of the process, under
technical details.

Find a pkg in /var/db/pkg that has a +CONTENTS file.  I just did a
'ls /var/db/pkg/* and found a few that had a +REQUIRED_BY file.

The +REQUIRED_BY file lists packages that depend on this one.

The +CONTENTS file will have entries that list packages that this one
depends on.  See '@pkgdep pkgname' in 'man pkg_create'.