Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 19:36:57 -0400
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.dyndns.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>, hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-libh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: packaging base

--o0ZfoUVt4BxPQnbU

On Wed Apr 24, 2002 at 04:26:33PM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Antoine Beaupre wrote:
> > Le Mercredi 24 avril 2002, =E0 11:12 , Mike Meyer a =E9crit :
> > > Your simple shell script has to prompt for floppies. That needs UI
> > > code. The people who know have decided that the current UI code isn't
> > > up to snuff. Hence libh.
> >=20
> > Come on.. The current package system and sysinstall are quite good at
> > prompting for a simple yes/no question. The issue is really not there, I
> > think.
>=20
> Actually, the prompting is problematic.  All such questions should,
> by definition, be front-loaded.  Otherwise, you have to babysit the
> installation process, which is never a good thing.

Yes. But right now, that's how it's made anyways. My point is that
it's not related to packaging base.
=20
> But that's beside the point: basically, any HCI (Human Computer
> Interaction) is, by definition, through a UI.
>=20
> > Libh is developping a UI, fine. But we need to develop a way to package
> > base efficiently.
>=20
> A good first start would be to have it be composed of packages
> instead of distfiles, and to have a mandatory/optional flag.

Yes. If the base Makfiles were setup to generate packages instead of
distros, I think a lot of people would be much happier.

> Actually, wasn't Eric Melville already dealing with this?

You're probably referring to the binup project?

Well I haven't seen much come out of the project lately, so I
wonder...

> > I'm concerned with getting base packaged. It shouldn't be too hard to
> > package base in either libh or classic pkgtools once the framework is in
> > place.
> >=20
> > I'm concerned that since libh doesn't currently aim at handling the
> > current bin.xx brute-force system, it will need base to be packaged in
> > order to install a running system.
>=20
> That's an incredibly positive thing (IMO).

Yup.

A.

--=20
Why bother building more nukes until we use the ones we already have?

--o0ZfoUVt4BxPQnbU

--o0ZfoUVt4BxPQnbU--