Date:      Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:48:40 +0000
From:      Adam J Richardson <fatman@crackmonkey.us>
To:        Jay Deiman <jay@splitstreams.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading from 6.2 to 7.0

Jay Deiman wrote:

> I have a couple of 6.2 machines that I would like to upgrade to the 7.0
> release.  Is there an "official" set of instructions for this process?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jay Deiman
Hi Jay,

This isn't a recommendation or anything, but I did manage to upgrade one
of my boxes from 6.3-SOMETHING to 7.0-BETA4 using the standard make
{build{world,kernel},install{kernel,world}} process. I didn't have any
problems with it, but it's not a supported method, so only do this if
you're a crazy like me with no regard for his data. Actually you're
probably best off backing up all your data and doing a clean install.

Since I'm a crazy with no regard for his data, I'm doing it again
tonight, this time to 7.0-RELEASE with a GENERIC kernel. I'll let you
know how it goes.

YMMV
#include <disclaimer.h>
etc.