Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 23:28:23 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: What Zombie?

At 01:48 PM 5.31.2002 +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>On Thursday, 30 May 2002 at 22:33:05 -0500, Jack L. Stone wrote:
>> 4.5-RELEASE
>>
>> I just ran dd on two 40GB  to backup the main HD-1 to HD-2. While running
>> top to watch the dd, I noticed a "zombie" appeared listed at the summary in
>> of processes. Got 54 processes, 1 running and that 1 zombie. Never seen it
>> before. How can I find that zombie
>
>   $ ps alx | grep Z
>   UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME COMMAND
>   1004 82075  6901 295  96  0     0    0 -      Z+    p5    0:00.00  (sh)
>
>See the Z under STAT?  That show that the process is a zombie.
>
>> and what does it mean...????
>
>It means that the process has died, but hasn't been buried yet.  The
>trouble with zombies is that you can't kill them, because they're
>already dead :-) First the parent process (6901 in this example) must
>wait for it and collect its status.
>
>You have two choices here:
>
>1.  Ignore it, it's not holding on to too many resources.
>2.  Kill the parent.  That may or may not be a good idea.  For
>    example, in this case,
>
>    $ ps lp6901
>      UID   PID  PPID CPU PRI NI   VSZ  RSS WCHAN  STAT  TT       TIME
COMMAND
>     1004  6901  6620 127  20  0   848  102 opause S+    p5    5:42.68
observe dates

>    This is a process I have on my machine which shows the dates
>    around the world every 2 seconds.  Sure, I can kill it and restart
>    it, but is there any point?  In this case, if I go back and look
>    for that zombie, I'll find it's already gone: I've just caught a
>    zombie in the stage before being buried.  In other cases, and
>    especially if the program is causing lots of zombies, you may want
>    to stop it.
>
>Greg
>--
Thanks, Greg: I tried running ps and a few others to look for the process
but did not find it. Then I realized I still had HD-2 mounted (/mnt/drv2)
when I ran dd from HD-1 for the first time. Forgot to umount it and could
not either using "umount /dev/drv2".

So, since was leaving the server unattended, decided to reboot. That killed
the zombie (which was already dead I guess). Any zombie connection with the
dd while still mounted? ...and does that impair my dd in any way....???

Thanks for any follow-up....

.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/

Best regards,

Jack L. Stone