Date:      Thu, 14 Sep 2000 23:57:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Stephen Krauth <stephenk@stephenk.com>
To:        Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fvwm2 gets buggy after a while...

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Chris Hill wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Stephen Krauth wrote:
>
> > After a while of being logged in (and maybe after exiting xlock, though I
> > can't be sure if it always happens after an xlock) some parts of fvwm2
> > (current version 2.2.4 btw) suddenly stop working.  Clicking on an
> > 'iconman' icon will no longer de-iconify a window.  All fvwm 'key'
> > commands fail to be captured.  For example, I have CTRL-SHIFT-[ARROWKEYS]
> > bound to jump around in a virtual desktop, along with many others; now
> > they are passed through to whichever terminal is focused.  Doing an fvwm
> > 'restart' doesn't fix the problem - only a logout.
> >
> > Anybody else seen this?
>
> I haven't seen the icon weirdness, but the CTRL-ARROW (which is how I
> have it bound) behaves exactly as you describe; again, only after "a
> while." It seems more likely to happen if I've been using acroread. To
> make it work right again I don't have to log out, just get out of X and
> "startx" again.
>
> I assumed this was because I'm running ancient software - fvwm-1.24r
> under 3.1R - but evidently it's still a problem. Drag.
>
> --
> Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
> [1]    Bus error                     netscape

Well it turned out that my symtoms were exactly the same as if the
NUM-LOCK key is pressed (after another reader mentioned it).  Though I
can't be POSITIVE I'd accidentally pressed that key everytime the problem
happened, it's a good bet...

Steve K.                              U.F.O. - "For the feeler gauge in you."