Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 1999 13:54:05 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Jamie Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>, Brian McGroarty <BMCGROARTY@high-voltage.com>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Marketing FreeBSD / FreeBSD as a product

> It seems to me that it is worth the technical effort (and maybe even some
> money) to get the right to use the "UNIX" brand name.

I have to disagree.  Since this is a licensed trademark, it would mean
an *ongoing* outlay of money to use it (it's a yearly license with
X/Open) and I don't see that it makes as much marketing impact as it
once did, certainly not enough to justify the costs.

Most people think of "Linux" before they think of "Unix" these days
anyway when it comes to brand ID, and maybe we should be negotiating
to use the Linux trademark instead... :-)

- Jordan