Date:      Fri, 7 Jan 2000 12:33:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        Scott Hess <scott@avantgo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions about select() and O_NONBLOCK

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Scott Hess wrote:

> Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu> wrote:
> > I hope that someone will clarify the following questions for me:
> >
> > (1) Can select() be used with regular files, like myfile.txt?
> >
> > (2) Does O_NONBLOCK or O_NDELAY work on regular files?
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.
>
> At this time, regular files are _always_ ready for I/O, and _always_
> fulfill your complete request (barring other problems, such as end-of-file
> our out-of-space conditions).  This is actually the case for all Unix
> implementations I'm aware of, though there are sometimes ways to work
> around the problem (async I/O, for instance).
>
> [I've been spending the past week working around this problem in the
> pthreads library - since file I/O blocks below the pthreads library, disk
> I/O is effectively serialized when using pthreads.  I'm working on
> integrating rfork() threads to handle disk I/O instead, so that multiple
> requests can be pending at a given time.]

Thanks a lot for your clarification. This saves me a lot of time reading
the kernel source.  As for the pthreads you mentioned, it sounds like a
user level implementation of KAIO (see vfs_aio.c). If I understand it
correctly, the kernel already maintains a queue for asynchronous I/O jobs,
though there is a limit of the length of that queue.

-Zhihui