Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 13:43:59 -0500 (EST)
From:      danh@wzrd.com (Dan Harnett)
To:        talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr (Michel TALON)
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cardbus controller

Hello,

> I have installed freebsd 3.3 on a Dell Inspiron 35OO.
> I have also installed corresponding PAO. Now most
> of the system works OK but i have some remaining problems.
>
> First sound card does not work. This is a Neomagic chip. I have
> been told that a driver is in preparation in CURRENT, and i can wait
> because i don't use sound much. But it may cause other problems.

I have the same laptop.  The sound works okay if you configure the pcm device
in the kernel.

> Here i don't know how to proceed. May i change the IRQ? I would have tried but
> i for example don't know the IRQ of the video card. It is listed
> as 255 in dmesg, but nevertheless works. So i fear some conflict.

You can set the IRQ in /boot/loader.conf.  A line like the following would work:
(NOTE: you may have to create /boot/loader.conf yourself)

machdep.pccard.pcic_irq="11"

Also, you have to edit /etc/pccard.conf to include only the available IRQs for
pccards.  At its default, it conflicted with the default settings on my laptop.
I'm not sure if you will have the same problems, as yours maybe be configured
differently.  Its best to check and make sure though.

> Another minor problem. If i hot boot from Windows to freebsd the kernel
> hangs. Presumably due to the sound card.
> Any suggestion?

No idea here.  I never booted with Windows on that machine.  Also, I did not
need PAO.  It worked fine using 3.2-RELEASE and -stable.  Just a note though,
if you plan on using APM, do not put a MAXMEM line in your kernel config, and
do not include 'options "AUTO_EOI_1"'.  Having those in my config resulted in
the resume from suspend not working so great (if at all).

Dan Harnett