Date:      Sun, 13 Feb 2000 00:20:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/16665 ports/16545

The following reply was made to PR ports/16665; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To: Akinori -Aki- MUSHA <knu@idaemons.org>
Cc: mi@virtual-estates.com, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
	imap-uw@freebsd.ady.ro
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 10:23:57 +0200 (EET)

 Hi everyone,

 On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Akinori -Aki- MUSHA wrote:

 > > 	imap-4.7a  is a  patch  release  which corrects  crashes
 > > 	caused  by certain  unusual tokens  in message  headers.
 > > 	There are no new features.
 > >
 > > 	In addition, I  corrected the patch-ab to  make the port
 > > 	obey the CC settings in addition to CFLAGS.
 > >
 > > 	The lock-patch.tar  seems to no longer  be neccessary --
 > > 	it is apparently integrated now (and now master site has
 > > 	it either).
 >
 > Hmm... as you know, I've already raised port/16545 for the same
 > purpose of updating imap-uw.  I think you'd better have sent it as a
 > follow-up to my pr instead of raising another.
 >
 >   Anyway, your correction not to override CC seems a good idea.

  I wonder how it got overlooked...

  OK, about that safegets.[ch] issue: I'm opposing to it because of CVS
 system overuse. Every file that ever gets into the tree remains there,
 even if it's being removed later (it just moves into the Attic); being
 that it's used for _just one file_ (*) in this port, and because this
 issue would better be solved by the developer fixing its sources I believe
 it's better not to trash the CVS tree with one temporary file; and since
 adding this to a patchfile doesn't involve creating a new file I find it a
 better solution.

  The bottom line is: better not thrash the CVS tree with a file that
 probably won't live too long in there when you can make use of alternative
 less CVS-stressing methods...

  (*) One file in the imap-uw port; I haven't yet checked out your
      imap-utils port, I don't know how many file you got there to patch;
      but if you really need to have that file verbatim you can add in your
      port. Or you could invent some hackery (like generate it from inside
      the Makefile)...

  Comments ?

 > --
 >                            /
 >                           /__  __
 > Akinori -Aki- MUSHA aka / (_ /  ( (__(  <knu@idaemons.org>
 >
 > "If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."

  Thanks,
  Ady (@warpnet.ro)