Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:22:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Straarup <xride@x12.dk>
To:        Lukas Ertl <l.ertl@univie.ac.at>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GEOM + Vinum

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Lukas Ertl wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004, Kevin Wooten wrote:
>
> > I am partially done with a replacement (not vinum compatible), that will
> > hopefully do the same thing in the end, and more. I am trying to make a
> > vinum that is more GEOM-ish. What I am experimenting with is using
> > mirror, and ccd to handle the mirroring and disk concatenation. Then
> > writing a single geom_stripe module that will stripe (with or without
> > parity data). Once this is finished, the GEOM config. should allow just
> > about all the complex configurations imaginable, even more than vinum.
>
> The fine thing about GEOM is that it offers a whole bunch of new
> possibilities.  I'm very interested to see a "native" GEOM RAID
> implementation, and I think Pawel is working on this one.

I'm currently trying to understand how GEOM works.
I have no pros or cons on the code, eating it raw.

> I think we should really get together on a separate mailing list - is it
> time for freebsd-geom@ yet?

I would be there.

> regards,
> le
>
> --
> Lukas Ertl                             eMail: l.ertl@univie.ac.at
> UNIX Systemadministrator               Tel.:  (+43 1) 4277-14073
> Vienna University Computer Center      Fax.:  (+43 1) 4277-9140
> University of Vienna                   http://mailbox.univie.ac.at/~le/

My 2 cents is to start building the house from the ground with the geom
classes, then add on the algorithms from the existing vinum.
and end up with the roof as is the the vinum configuration tool.

Soeren Straarup   | aka OZ2DAK aka Xride
FreeBSD wannabe   | FreeBSD since 2.2.6-R
     If you see the light at the end of the tunnel,
      then make sure it is not a train..