Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 08:11:40 +0100
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freebsd.org>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jkh@freebsd.org (Jordan K. Hubbard), rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, phk@freefall.cdrom.com, mark@grondar.za, wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Crypt code summary(2).

> That's not what I implied.  I implied a lack of interest, not "interest
> but a lack of willingness".

That's not what your little summary of all the groups's "motivation"
(or lack thereof) implied to me, but we can skip it.  It's not worth
arguing over, truly.

> Arrogance is another topic entirely, and the failure attributable to
> it is names "Merge", not "Consortium" (and no, I'm not *willing* to
> go down that thread again).

I'm glad of that because I'd argue that point as well.. :-)

I said it many times, both during and after those proceedings: If
there was any way for the parties to work together without tearing
BOTH groups apart through internal strife and an inherent inability to
even like each other, much less work together, then we'd have done it.
Everyone on the outside was, in turn, pushing like some sort of
demented Hedda Gabbler style match-maker who just couldn't believe
that her pairing up of the Grand Dragon of the Klu-Klux-Klan and
Whitney Houston wasn't going to work out.  "But with his
organizational abilities and her voice, it would be a match made in
heaven!" she continued to gush.  "What's a little difference in
politics got to do with anything?"

Arrogance really didn't enter into it, and it's really overly
simplistic of you to think that it did.  These are volunteers here
Terry, in case you've forgotten.  You can't get the Moose Lodge to
meet every saturday for drinks and socialization if they all hate one
another's guts.  I never could figure out how everyone found this so
bloody hard to understand at the time.  Must have been something in
the water.  [And before you even think it, we didn't fail to get along
simply due to being "rivals" and it wouldn't take Sigmund Freud to
quickly ascertain that the two groups of people simply have SERIOUSLY
divergent styles and age groupings].

> I agree with this, to an extent.  I can name some examples quite close
> to home: the original 386BSD FAQ and patchkit, both of which I foisted
> off on the first willing/unsuspecting people to come along who stood a
> chance (IMO) of keeping it going at the right level.

And the three of us have never quite forgiven you for it, either.. :-)

> Well, Rod is burning in my dual processor P90 right now (ask him if
> you don't believe me).

Oh, I don't doubt that you're thinking of jumping in, I'm just a
little tired of the continued "I'm coming in soon!  I am!  How's the
water?  Cold?  Should I wear the bathing cap?  If I toss in a
thermometer, would someone mind reading the temperature to me?  Does
anyone see any snapping turtles sitting on the bottom?  You know, this
reminds me of another water hole I used to use back during my salad
days at RAND, why we used to gather 'round every Sunday and..."

>From our perspective, what we get from you are multi-page missives but
virtually nothing in the way of diffs.  Try to see it through our
eyes, Terry!  It's hardly impatience when it's gone on for YEARS, and
I think I can reasonably say that the burden of proof is quite fairly
and squarely on you at this point.  I'm not going to poison the well
with undue cynicism, but I do think that some of the feelings of
frustration that I and others feel is more than reasonably well
founded.  3 or 6 months is one thing, but we're not talking about 3 to
6 months, are we?

> Feel free to ask Jeffrey Hsu what is currently going on with him, if
> he's willing to comment.

I will.  I know he's got an important project going, but judging by
some of the other abortive projects that have come (and gone) before,
I'm not exactly going to hold this up in lieu of actual, tangible
progress.  No slight to Jeff intended or implied, but my viewpoint is
an entirely reasonable one.  When he has something to share with us
then I'm sure that he will.  Until he does, however, I'm not going to
go around telling everyone that Jeff's a god and is going to save the
world tomorrow and, to his credit, Jeff doesn't appear to be doing so
either!

> Feel free to ask Sean Eric Fagan what joint project we have up our
> sleeves, though I'd rather it not be made too public right now.

See above.  I'm sure you have 27 different projects up your sleeve
right now.  When one bears demonstrable fruit, call me!  I'll be happy
to send you a six pack of fine beer just for proving me wrong.. :-)

> I just barely finished reviewing someone else's  manuscript for
> Prentice Hall; it was a much more time consuming job than I had
> expected.  Naerly 6 Months of free time; expect to see the book
> "UNIX Internals: The New Frontiers" in bookstores soon.  I highly
> recommend it for its comparative look at many UNIX implementations.

Well, I won't kick it out of bed.  I'll keep my eyes open for it.

> Meanwhile, Sean has seen one pre-release game of several, and everyone
> on the FreeBSD Core and XFree86 mailing lists at least had opportunity
> (even if they didn't exercise it) to see the first Alpha of Mimic, my
> Motif library clone.

Now c'mon, Terry.  You're reaching for straws now.  I did grab it and
I saw that it wasn't anywhere near "there" enough for anything I'd
want to use Motif for (e.g. compiling any sort of reasonably sized
Motif-dependant software) so I went back to other things.  Don't get
me wrong, I know that everything's got to start somewhere, but you
must admit that Mimic wasn't even really ALPHA by a long shot.  ALPHA
is a version of fully functioning software that may or may not have
significant bugs and is perhaps missing some functionality around the
edges.  BETA is supposed to have the missing holes filled in and a few
less bugs.  RELEASE is supposed to have the last (known) bugs worked
out and be as featureful as was planned for that release..  To release
a credible Motif clone, you need to at least have fairly significant
coverage of all the standard and commonly used primitives and header
files, and Mimic doesn't even come close.

So I'll give you full credit for a good project and a fine start, but
please don't start saying silly things like "I released an ALPHA of
Mimic, my Motif library clone" when both you and I know that what you
REALLY did was release a snapshot of Mimic, your work-in-progress
towards a Motif library clone.  There's quite a difference!

> On the other hand, places where I do only make comments, you can be
> sure I have some sort of code concern or another in mind.  Just because
> I don't think something is release quality doesn't mean it's not there

Not my point at all.  I just want to see more concrete examples and
less of "you guys could all rearchitect the frammitz and redo the
glotch" sorts of postings.

You seem to have this need to work in a corner and occasionally come
out in a loud blare of trumpets and a cry of "follow me, men!" when it
would seem far more practical to work a little more in the open light
of day and let other people have a chance to actually see and
PARTICIPATE in the day-to-day progress of a project.  Imagine if we
ran -current in such a fashion: No code was released, except perhaps
once every 6 months or so when we felt like it, and all the other
hackers had to go on were bits of forwarded email chit-chat between
the various core team members things like "I'm rearchitecting the VM
system guys!  It's way cool!"  "Yaaay!  Go David!" and such.  Everyone
else would leave in disgust!  Again, this is one of those
hyper-obvious things that I'm having trouble figuring out why I should
even have to mention it to you.  Bill Jolitz did EXACTLY the same
thing to us, which is perhaps why we're a little sensitive about it
now.  Doesn't make you any less guilty of it, mind you, but just to
put things into further perspective.

> I'd like to avoid providing opportunity for that kind of screwup again,
> thank you.

Well, one way of avoiding it would be to work openly and give people
the chance to notice things like that BEFORE THEY HAPPEN!  I know, I
know, it's a crazy idea but it Might Just Work! :-)

> Yes, I take a hundred paths at once; that doesn't mean I never reach
> the end of any of them.  Have some frigging patience!  I haven't been

Oh, I have Terry, believe me I have.  But I think I also can't be
blamed if that patience is wearing just a bit thin.  I'm not the only
one who thinks that the number and length of these delays has turned
much of what you've talking about over the last 2 years into something
of a running farce..  Wake up and smell the coffee!

Why don't we simply agree to disgree on your methodology and whether
or not you're ever going to come out of the hole to see your shadow
and just wait and see?  I'll agree that there's certainly no
constructive effect to my flaming you to toast at this point, and if I
reached some of my internal limits yesterday and went perhaps a bit
too publically ballistic as a result, then I'll be the first to admit
that I should probably back off and admit that even if I'm RIGHT in
every single one of my assessments it really doesn't matter and I
should shut up.  You're not a horse who can be made to drink and I
think we can all be comfortable with that conclusion.. :-)

					Jordan