Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 00:13:59 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvsup

Patrick O'Reilly <patrick@mip.co.za> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Please forgive me, but this question springs from my over-developed
> sense of caution :)

Welcome to the club.

> Is it safe for me to run cvsup with a 'sup' file like this:
> ------------------
> # SUP file for 4.x stable
>
> *default tag=RELENG_4
> #*default host=cvsup.za.FreeBSD.org
> *default host=cvsup2.za.FreeBSD.org
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
> *default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
>
> src-all
> ------------------
>
> In other words, is it quite safe to assume that cvsup will correctly update
> my system which is actually 6 months AND one version number out of date?

CVSup will only update your sources.  The supfile you included above
will fetch the latest sources in the -STABLE branch, and you'll have
to build from these sources to update your system.

Before updating from the sources, I suggest reading the "Using make
world" section of chapter "The Cutting edge" from the Handbook.
That should be helpful enough.  If it does not seem helpful at all, or
you find something confusing in there, it's a bug of the
documentation, and you should let us know.

-giorgos