Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:31:22 +0100 (IST)
From:      Nick Hilliard <nick@iol.ie>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Class C hack instead of ifconfig aliases

> 1. in your webserver:
>    a. ipfw add fwd localhost from any to 1.2.3/24 http

Clever - I likes it.

> - I don't think arp will work on 1.2.3/24 addresses, which is why the
> route needs to be added to the router.

This is becoming pretty off-topic, but having thousands of arp entries
floating around on a network is also arguably a bad idea for the same reason
as having thousands of IP addresses hanging off a single interface.  I
normally configure ip aliases off lo0 and use gated to announce the
networks to the world and drop packets destined to unconfigured hosts.  This
is generally a cleaner and more flexible configuration to use.

Nick