Date:      Sun, 7 May 2006 02:48:27 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   fxp0: ethernet freezes sporatically ...

g'day ...

   I've recently started having an issue on my desktop that I've been kinda
hounding the cable provider about, but, from their end, they see
absolutely no issues ... so I figured I'd see if there was maybe something
happening within the OS itself ...

   Here is the issue ... periodically, for 60-120 secs, my SSH connections
to servers in both Panama, Central America and Toronto, Canada, will hang
... seems to be totally random ...

   Web *appears* to work during that time, and I have Azureas running and
*it* appears to keep running during that time ... I suspect that my IMAP
connections (fetchmail) are also being affected, since I get the original
"timeout" emails from fetchmail ...

   I am running:

 	FreeBSD 6.1-RC #21: Sun Apr 30 20:56:36 ADT 2006

   On:

 	CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz (2394.01-MHz 686-class CPU)

   And my Internet connection is running on:

 	fxp0: <Intel 82550 Pro/100 Ethernet>

   As I've mentioned above, I have been bugging my cable company about
this, but they can find no reasons on their ends to account for this ... I
have a business account, so I'm not dealing with "Residential QoS" issues
on this one ...

   Is there *anything* on the OS side of things that I should be looking at
that I may be overlooking?  Any known issues with the fxp driver that
might be causing this?  I've always found it to be a more then stable
driver, but things can happen ...

   Also, please note that I don't have a router between the 'Net and I ...
my desktop is our network router, so the fxp device is directly connected

   Thoughts?

Thanks ...

----