Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 2010 00:24:00 +1100
From:      andrew clarke <mail@ozzmosis.com>
To:        Paul Shi <shihang@hkusua.hku.hk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0.5 Release

On Mon 2010-01-04 20:32:54 UTC+0800, Paul Shi (shihang@hkusua.hku.hk) wrote:

> I am looking for a FreeBSD release which is most similar to 4.4 BSD-Lite and
> I chose FreeBSD 2.0.5, the oldest release since 4.4 BSD-Lite. However, after
> downloading iso file from archive
>
> ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/<ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.3/>;
>
> and burning to CDROM, it still will not boot from CDROM. The burning process
> should be fine since I just got it correctly as some of you may be aware. So
> I wondering if it is possible that the ISO file has been broken. Is there
> any one who maintains older archive know the validity of ISO file. Thank you
> very much!

I don't think the very early releases available on CD are bootable.
Not many PCs in the mid-1990s supported booting from CD.  CD-ROM
drives weren't very common and those that did exist often had
non-standard interfaces that required special drivers to work - which
meant the BIOS couldn't see them to boot from them.

To install FreeBSD 2.x, if I recall correctly you need to write the
FreeBSD diskette images (in the /floppies/ directory) to diskettes,
then boot from the first install diskette, while having the
installation CD in the CD drive.  You may need to RTFM a bit to get
this working.

ftp://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/i386/2.0.5-RELEASE/INSTALL

(AFAIK it's still possible to use this technique to do a network
install of FreeBSD 8.x, if you don't have a working CD-ROM drive.)

The ISO for FreeBSD 3.x is probably bootable.  I know the 4.x ISO is.

It wouldn't surprise me if FreeBSD 2.0.5 fails to boot correctly on
modern hardware.  You may need to use older hardware, or an emulator.

Regards
Andrew