Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2018 08:31:11 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lost my serial console! :-)

On 2018-Nov-22, at 08:14, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 2018-Nov-22, at 03:27, Karl Denninger <karl at denninger.net> =
wrote:
>=20
http://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/ISO-IMAGES/12.0/FreeBSD-12.0-R=
C1-arm64-aarch64-RPI3.img.xz
>>> Thank you for the testing, I am ccing this reply to RE@ so they
>>> know we have at least 1 data point that says we can boot our
>>> release canadate image on both a RPI3B and RPI3B+,
>>> that is valuable data.
>> One note -- there is a complaint about umodem.ko missing dependencies
>> right at the top of the kernel messages on boot and indeed it does =
not
>> load out of the loader.conf entry -- but if I load it by hand once =
the
>> system is up (or out of /etc/rc.local, etc) it works.  So while it =
does
>> indeed boot I wouldn't call it completely "working" (at least not if =
you
>> need the umodem kernel module!)
>>=20
>> This happens to impact me on these devices (I have a USB device that
>> "appears" as a serial modem).... it's been broken for a while on
>> -CURRENT, but I don't know exactly *when* it broke.  On the Pi2 under
>> 11-Stable it hasn't been a problem.
>=20
> Looking on the web I see an example from -r335317 :
>=20
> FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0 r335317: Mon Jun 18 17:37:04 UTC 2018
>    =
root@releng3.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm64.aarch64/sys/GENERIC =
arm64
> FreeBSD clang version 6.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_600/final 326565) (based on =
LLVM 6.0.0)
> WARNING: WITNESS option enabled, expect reduced performance.
> VT: init without driver.
> KLD file umodem.ko is missing dependencies
> KLD file if_run.ko is missing dependencies
>=20
> But if I remove umodem.ko being the specific
> example there is more --and some notes that
> might provide a workaround . . .
>=20
> There are examples around of folks getting the type of message for
> zfs.ko , where the solution was to force /boot/kernel/opensolaris.ko
> to load ahead of time instead of depending on it automatically
> happening. -r317181 was an example, quoting:
>=20
> QUOTE
> With a slimmed down kernel config, I can load zfs.ko and boot the =
kernel=20
> BUT opensolaris is not loaded and I get at kernel boot:=20
>=20
> OK load zfs=20
> /boot/kernel/zfs.ko text=3D0x9d980 text=3D0xe0480 data=3D0x214c8+0x9eb78=
=20
> syms=3D[0x8+0x1d6a0+0x8+0x187bd]=20
> OK boot=20
> Booting...=20
> KDB: debugger backends: ddb=20
> KDB: current backend: ddb=20
> Copyright (c) 1992-2017 The FreeBSD Project.=20
> Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, =
1994=20
>         The Regents of the University of California. All rights =
reserved.=20
> FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.=20
> FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #0 r317181M: Sun May 14 14:01:52 CEST 2017=20
>     [hidden email]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NORQUAY arm64=20
> FreeBSD clang version 4.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_400/final 297347) (based on=20=

> LLVM 4.0.0)=20
> VT: init without driver.=20
> KLD file zfs.ko is missing dependencies=20
> END QUOTE
>=20
> and:
>=20
> QUOTE
> If I load opensolaris manually, I can mount My root filesystem from =
zfs=20
>=20
> OK load opensolaris=20
> /boot/kernel/opensolaris.ko text=3D0x19d8 text=3D0xda0 =
data=3D0x10178+0x125b8=20
> syms=3D[0x8+0x1020+0x8+0x8ca]=20
> OK boot -s=20
> Booting...=20
> . . .
> END QUOTE
>=20
> That does suggest that there may be a workaround of explicitly
> on implicit loading. This is true even if the person needed to
> do a kldxref and at the time it might have worked after that.
>=20
> (In the current context having an up to date linker.hints file
> is known to be insufficient. Back then I'm unsure of the
> status. But the procedure may either anyway.)
>=20
> The quotes are from:
>=20
> =
http://freebsd.1045724.x6.nabble.com/Re-DTB-provided-by-loader-efi-from-he=
ad-r317181-on-pine64-smashed-by-zfs-ko-td6185085.html
>=20
> All the examples I'm referring to are arm64 in 2017 or later.
> Over such a range I've not run into a non-arm64 example.
>=20
> (I Did find old FreeBSD 9 missing-dependencies reports and
> powerpc reports from years before that range. I ignored these.)

I just tested and:

hw.usb.template=3D3
# ucom is not automatically being loaded when umodem is loaded at boot.
ucom_load=3D"YES"
umodem_load=3D"YES"

in /boot/loader.conf worked: no more message about umodem.ko
missing dependencies.

It looks like 12.x should have a note about amd64 requiring
such completeness in what is listed in /boot/loader.conf
or what is types at the loader prompts. (Presuming that this
is not fixed before 12.0-RELEASE .)

I greatly doubt that the issue is specific to umodem.ko and
what it requires to also be loaded. (Note the if_run.ko
example that was in materials that I quoted and the
zfs.ko example that suggested the workaround.)

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went