Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 2001 22:05:37
From:      "Aaron Hill" <hillaa@hotmail.com>
To:        orb451@yahoo.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel In Business NIC (SA101TX)

>Hello, I have a question regarding the Intel
>"In-Business" 10/100 PCI NIC.  I'm running FreeBSD 4.1
>Stable x86.  My dmesg output says that it finds device
>fxp0 irq 9, etc, follow that it lists "could not map
>memory", and underneath it lists "fxp0 device attach
>returned 6".  I've got my kernel compiled with the
>following line:
>
>device fxp0 at pci? port 0x300 irq 9 iomem 0xd0000

I do not know your actual card but for all the Intel cards and other cards
with Intel (82557, 82558) chipsets I use this line in the kernel config file
has been enough to get them to work...

device          fxp

>Should I be calling this out on "isa?" instead of
>"pci?"

No. Being 10/100Mb/s this is a PCI card - right?

>or should I just leave "device fxp0" and
>nothing else?

Copy my device line from above - use fxp not fxp0.

>  The dmesg output does recognize this as
>Intel In-Business 10/100 adapater.  Point being, I
>believe the correct driver is in fact fxp.

That's OK, FreeBSD may just see this card as just another 82557/82558 Intel
chipset card.

>  However,
>if I'm wrong can someone please let me know what my
>setup should be to get the card recognized.

Try the new device line I've shown above and let us know if that doesn't
work. If it doesn't this card may have a newer chipset on it that the 4.1
fxp driver doesn't support. I wouldn't bet on this happening though.

Good luck

Aaron Hill