Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 03:38:40 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <charon@hades.hell.gr>
To:        TKAman2@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: networking tutorial

[ moved this to freebsd-questions where it's supposed to be ]

On Thu, Jan 20, 2000 at 11:48:42PM -0500, TKAman2@aol.com wrote:

> Do you know where any networking tutorials for BSD are? I didnt see
> one on your site, but I didnt look very hard either...

You can find a lot of useful information for your FreeBSD system at the
handbook.  Some of it is related to networking with FreeBSD, but you
can also find lots of other useful stuff there.  Point your favorite
web browser at URL:http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html

> I am trying to get it to talk to my other Windows (yuck! ;]) based
> machines so let me know if there is anything special I would need to
> do, or if it is even worth trying to network it with windows.

To share part of your disks between the BSD box and those Windows
machines, look in the ports for Samba.  I am no Samba-expert myself,
but I know that you can make the BSD disks show up in Network
Neighborhood of Windows with Samba.

> I want to use it as an internet sharing machine, probably using
> squid. Eventually I will get a DSL or cable line and I want to be
> able to hook it into my BSD machine and use it kinda as a firewall
> and share the internet connection with the rest of the computers in
> my house.

All of that and much more is possible with FreeBSD.  Look at the
networking sections of the Handbook.  The FAQ might also provide some
useful information, which will come handy when troubles start showing
their fangs.  The home page at URL:http://www.freebsd.org/ has a link
to "Documentation".  Use that as your starting point and fear nothing.

Since I suspect that you're a newcomer to FreeBSD,

Welcome aboard.

PS: Use freebsd-questions for questions related to FreeBSD.  The
freebsd-doc list is for people working on the documentation, and it's
not the right place to ask general questions about the system.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
"Don't let your schooling interfere with your education." [Mark Twain]