Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 07:33:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Preisler <john@vapornet.net>
To:        "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video and sound card recommendations?

One must match the software to supported hardware.  For video cards,
peruse the XFree86 list of supported cards.  From what I gather the
riva tnt is unsupported, or has immature support in xfree.  Perhaps
someone running one of these cards can say for sure.  The riva tnt is
the gamers' choice for windows, but very very little in XFree86-land
uses the 3D accelleration.  Personally I use a rage pro card.  If
XFree86 has a pci driver for a given chipset, it will most likely work
as an agp card too, as my rage card is an ati xpert@work 4meg rage
pro.  Not a great card, but not a bad one.  XFree86 supports the
Mach64 chipset rather well.

XFree86 chipset readmes:
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/

As for sound cards, the same principle applies.  Flip through the pcm
driver's list of supported sound card chipsets.  I chose the turtle
beach malibu, an isa card based on the cs4237 chipset.  The pcm driver
supports this card just dandy, and all your windows games should
handle it just fine too.

look in:
/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/snd/CARDS

-j