Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 19:42:46 -0800
From:      "Mike Maltese" <mike@pcmedx.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Rishi Chopra <rchopra@cal.berkeley.edu>
Subject:   Re: (Yet Another) Home Networking Question

> (1) in /etc/rc.conf, I added the following
>   natd_enable="YES"
>   natd_interface="rl0" ### public interface connected to cable modem
>   gateway_enable="YES"
>   defaultrouter="192.168.0.1" ###  LAN machines use this
>   ifconfig_rl0="DHCP"  ### Astound uses dhcp
>   ifconfig_rl1="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0" ### use for LAN
>   hostname="idfubar.dyndns.org"

As a first step, try adding these lines to rc.conf:

firewall_enable="YES"
firewall_type="open"

This will enable diversion of all traffic to natd. Read the man pages for
natd and ipfw and
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls.html
for more information.

The easiest way to reinitialize the system is to type "shutdown now". This
will drop you into single user mode. Press return when prompted for a shell.
Hit Ctrl+D and the rc system will be run through and put you back into
multi-user mode. Check for connectivity from the router and the Windows box.

As a side note, you can delete the defaultrouter entry. That's for your
FreeBSD box, not LAN clients. It's getting reset by dhclient when it gets
lease information from your ISP's DHCP server anyway.