Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 13:00:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Aic7xxx driver instability with the Quantum Atlas

> This is just a heads up that the dreaded "Queue Full" problem with
> the Quantum Atlas and the aic7xxx driver has been found.  Unfortunately
> the fix is not as simple as downloading a new version of the FreeBSD
> driver.  The problem is a bug in level 912 of the Atlas firmware.   You
> can obtain the necessary files to upgrade your firmware from Quantum's
> ftp site.  You will have to run Dos and Adaptec's ASPI drivers
> in order to download the firmware to the drive.  The URL is:

Is there any possibility of determining the firmware rev from
software?  Then when the queue full condition occurs, you could
print a console log message that tells you to update the
firmware.... or just print that message on a queue full, always, or
for Quantums.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---