Date:      Fri, 8 Dec 2000 13:49:09 -0600
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   sockets in /tmp

I've been trying to move /tmp from the root filesystem to a different
(larger) filesystem.

But /tmp is filled with WEIRD FILES put there by XFree86. I think these
are Unix domain sockets; they have permissions like: srwxrwxrwx
(I call them 'weird files' because I've never seen them before, not
because they are weird, per se.)

XFree86 fails to load (it destroys the keyboard/display) if I mv /tmp to
/tmp.old. It loads properly when I move /tmp back. I *cannot* mv /tmp to
a different filesystem because I get an "Operation not permitted" on all
of the sockets.

Why are these files persistent? Can they be moved? Shouldn't XFree86
successfully recreate them when I startx?

As you can see, maybe I haven't even honed in on the proper questions...
--
Christopher Farley
Northern Brewer / 1150 Grand Avenue / St. Paul, MN 55105