Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2014 17:14:08 +0100
From:      Markus Gebert <markus.gebert@hostpoint.ch>
To:        Christopher Forgeron <csforgeron@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@freebsd.org>, Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: 9.2 ixgbe tx queue hang

On 24.03.2014, at 16:21, Christopher Forgeron <csforgeron@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> This is regarding the TSO patch that Rick suggested earlier. (With =
many
> thanks for his time and suggestion)
>=20
> As I mentioned earlier, it did not fix the issue on a 10.0 system. It =
did
> make it less of a problem on 9.2, but either way, I think it's not =
needed,
> and shouldn't be considered as a patch for testing/etc.
>=20
> Patching TSO to anything other than a max value (and by default the =
code
> gives it IP_MAXPACKET) is confusing the matter, as the packet length
> ultimately needs to be adjusted for many things on the fly like TCP
> Options, etc. Using static header sizes won't be a good idea.
>=20
> Additionally, it seems that setting nic TSO will/may be ignored by =
code
> like this in sys/netinet/tcp_output.c:
>=20
> 10.0 Code:
>=20
>  780                         if (len > tp->t_tsomax - hdrlen)
> {                 !!
>  781                                 len =3D tp->t_tsomax -
> hdrlen;               !!
>  782                                 sendalot =3D
> 1;
>  783                         }
>=20
>=20
> I've put debugging here, set the nic's max TSO as per Rick's patch ( =
set to
> say 32k), and have seen that tp->t_tsomax =3D=3D IP_MAXPACKET. It's =
being set
> someplace else, and thus our attempts to set TSO on the nic may be in =
vain.
>=20
> It may have mattered more in 9.2, as I see the code doesn't use
> tp->t_tsomax in some locations, and may actually default to what the =
nic is
> set to.
>=20
> The NIC may still win, I didn't walk through the code to confirm, it =
was
> enough to suggest to me that setting TSO wouldn't fix this issue.

I just applied Rick=92s ixgbe TSO patch and additionally wanted to be =
able to easily change the value of hw_tsomax, so I made a sysctl out of =
it.

While doing that, I asked myself the same question. Where and how will =
this value actually be used and how comes that tcp_output() uses that =
other value in struct tcpcb.

The only place tcpcb->t_tsomax gets set, that I have found so far, is in =
tcp_input.c=92s tcp_mss() function. Some subfunctions get called:

tcp_mss() -> tcp_mss_update() -> tcp_maxmtu()

Then tcp_maxmtu() indeed uses the interface=92s hw_tsomax value:

1746                                 cap->tsomax =3D ifp->if_hw_tsomax;

It get=92s passed back to tcp_mss() where it is set on the  connection =
level which will be used in tcp_output() later on.

tcp_mss() gets called from multiple places, I=92ll look into that later. =
I will let you know if I find out more.

Markus