Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:10:03 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

At 12:46 PM -0800 10/29/01, Julian Elischer wrote:
>why?

You are coming up with a method to expand timestamps to the year
2600, and the proposal works by stealing bits from one place and
adding that to unsigned bits in another.  I can not imagine 400
years of looking at such a baroque kludge, so I also say "yuck".

We can fix time_t to hold 64-bit values.  Kirk McKusick has already
said that he's working on an upgrade for UFS which will simply store
those 64-bit values as 64-bit values.  I would rather see energy
spent on that solution instead of piecing together a value from
various bits which are theoretically available.  If we get so UFS2
has basically replaced UFS by (say) 2010, then we'll be in fine
shape and in plenty of time.

That is just my opinion, of course.