Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:51:00 -0400
From:      "Fernando Pinguelo" <pinguelo@comcast.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Frustration

I am writing to you because I need to vent. I have tried installing =
version 5.3 of FreeBSD on a Pentium III machine. I thought I succeeded =
in doing it so, but when I tried to build xOrg I realized that I did not =
have all the ports installed and that some other dependencies were also =
missing. I realized then that the installation had not been as =
successful as I first thought.
So, I tried to re-install the ports from the CD, since I didn't have an =
Internet connection to that machine. Well, I kept getting more and more =
hardware/software errors. I then tried to upgrade FreeBSD to version =
6.1. And that was what I did; I tried.

Well, I kept getting more errors, as usual. The more I tried to =
install/reinstall/upgrade/fix FreeBSD, the more I was realizing that =
anything that had to do with FreeBSD that could go wrond would go wrong, =
be it the software installation or hardware behavior. The amount of work =
and headache that I have been experiencing to move a single 'inch' =
towards a working Unix environment has been enourmously frustating. The =
worst part of it all is that I have not accomplished anything tangible =
at all.=20

I think now it is time for this boy to abandon the 'Unix' bandwagon for =
good and move back to MS Windows. At least I will be able to concentrate =
on doing real productive work, instead of dealing with temperamental =
hardware and software every time I touch the PC.

Good luck to those heroic individuals who stick with the configuration =
fight to the end. I failed to see the 'Power to Serve'.=20

Bye,

Fernando