Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:01:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Oliver Crow <ocrow@skymind.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrade techniques

1) What's the easiest way to upgrade a whole bunch of dependent packages?

For example, when gnome-1.2 came out, I already had a previous set of
gnome packages installed.  I wanted a command that would uninstall every
gnome package that I could upgrade and install the upgraded version.  I
ended up doing it by hand, with a bunch of pkg_delete's, pkg_add's (and
port make's).  Is there a way to manage all those dependencies in an
automated way?

2) In the FreeBSD release notes it says to use /stand/sysinstall to do a
binary upgrade of the system, and tells you to go read UPGRADE.TXT.  In
UPGRADE.TXT it warns against using the /stand/sysinstall from your current
system, and advises use of the sysinstall from the version to which you
want to upgrade.  But how do you get that program and run it, if you're
intending on doing the install over the network?

Shouldn't the specific steps in the common operation of doing a binary
upgrade over the net be documented in the manual?

3) The file on the ftp server in /branches/-current/README claims that is
the dir for 3.0-current packages.  Is the README out of date?

Oliver