Date:      Sun, 25 Aug 1996 19:51:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to people feel about adding an AUTHOR convention to ports?

On Sun, 25 Aug 1996, Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> Building on Jordan's original idea, + other people's supplemental ideas ....
>
> I suggest a small group of fields in `suggested cry for help' order :-)
> Here's an example applicable to comms/hylafax/Makefile:
> 	LIST_FREEBSD		= hylafax@freebsd.org
> 	MAINTAINER		= jhs@freebsd.org
> 	LIST_GENERIC		= flexfax@sgi.com
> 	AUTHOR_CURRENT		= sam@sgi.com
> 	AUTHOR_ORIGINAL		= sam@sgi.com

Julian, if it's not being used in bsd.port.mk, what possible use are the
variables?  Stuff like this might be more useful as a comment, or maybe in
the DESCR file.  I can't think of a single port that would need more info
than the author of the original sources, and the FreeBSD maintainer[s].

If you put a lot of gratuitous stuff in your Makefile, it's just going to
discourage folks from trying to figure out how to make more ports.

> > If nobody else is enthusiastic, I hope there will be no objection if I
> > use it in my own port submissions?
>
> Let's document keywords in share/mk.

Yes, if they have some functional use.

> > I'm sure we could also use the extra information to dress up the web
> > pages a little bit.
>
> Yes, & they'd be standard hooks for bug reporting, support issues, etc.
>
> Julian
> --
> Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |