Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 22:53:10 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 11:47:56AM -0800, Steve Kargl wrote:
> Here is the nice little uname test from the vendor's install script:
>
> # what type of target?
> if test -x /usr/bin/uname ; then
>         uname=/usr/bin/uname
> elif test -x /bin/uname ; then
>         uname=/bin/uname
> else
>         # Never seen it anywhere but /bin or /usr/bin, so hopefully it's
>         # in $PATH already.
>         type uname > /dev/null 2>&1
>         if test $? -ne 0 ; then
>                 echo "install: uname not found in \$PATH environment variable"
>                 quit
>         else
>                 uname=uname
>         fi
> fi
>
> You'll never pick up /compat/linux/bin/uname unless you delete/rename
> /usr/bin/uname.

Eh - I'm pretty sure /compat/linux is searched _before_ /.  For all
syscalls.  This is hardcoded in the linux emulator in the kernel.

So if /compat/linux/bin/uname exists, that will be run in preference
to /bin/uname for anything Linux-emulated.  We might still need a way
of saying that a shell script is Linux-emulated, though - probably by
running it through /compat/linux/bin/sh :-)

Besides this, vendors should be pressured to test for uname in the
right way to make their Linux software also work on FreeBSD.

Eivind.